Welcome! This marks our first blog entry for thestorkbag.com and I’m super excited to write it! Although I wouldn’t call myself a ‘blogger’ per say, I do really enjoy sharing what I’ve learned so far as being an entrepreneur (mompreneur), with others who are also entrepreneurs, aspiring to be an entrepreneurs or just looking to improve their current professional state.
Here’s the skinny. I started my first company, MommyMaiDD Services Inc. back in 2012, while pregnant with my 3rd son, working on my Master’s Degree and working full time at a nonprofit organization. Extremely busy, my husband and I both made the risky resolution to leave our careers and start our own companies. 4 years later, doing what we love has worked out better than we could have ever imagined but, not without a few bumps in the road… I’ve faced many challenges but if I had to do it all over again, I totally would! In a nutshell, there are a few things I’ve learned that have been a crucial part to my success thus far. Here are 5:
- Write Those Goals Down! Would you hop in the car and go on a road trip to a place you’ve never been without a GPS or map? No, so why would you venture into such a huge life decision without direction? I found that when I wrote down my short and long term goals, it was much easier for me to decide on the strategy to take to achieve those goals. This may not be a BIG secret to some of you but just writing the list is the easy part, sticking with it, strategizing correctly to get to the goals and adjusting according is key–that’s the secret I guess…
- Persistence! Firmly continue despite difficulty. No explanation needed for this one. The secret…find out what your driving force is. What will keep you going when sales stop coming in consistently? What will keep you going when everything seems to be going wrong? If you’re driven solely by the money, you should STOP. Find out what your afflatus is and recall that each time you want to stop–that’s the secret.
- Share. There’s more than enough for you, your competitor and your colleague. The secret? Being an entrepreneur is NOT all about me, me, me. Its about connections, genuine connections. Share without oversharing…
- Teamwork Makes The Dream Work! The secret: not everyone will make a good teammate, find the ones that you can trust and who aren’t afraid to use their voice. You need go-getters on your team, especially in the beginning. You’ll encounter enough “yes men” as your success progresses.
- Be Different. If social media is saturated with a plethora entrepreneurs in a particular field you want venture into, what are you going to do to stand out? What makes your brand more unique than theirs? The secret: Have a unique story. Perfect your value proposition and illustrate it as best you can to your audience. Take it and own it.
There’s more but these are just a few…
Questions, comments? Leave them below, let’s talk.