The holidays are wrapping up and now if you are anything like me, you are staring down the barrel of the kids being home from school for two weeks. I just can’t handle “I’m bored”, especially when we have a house full of new toys. So I’m arming myself with a list of things to do with the kids when we need to shake things up and possibly get out of the house. Below is my list and I hope you can utilize it, just in case you have a “we are all going stir-crazy” type of emergency.
- Winter is officially here! Get out of the house if it’s not too cold! There are plenty of winter outdoor related activities to do, even if you don’t have any snow. Go for a winter hike or ice skating at a local rink. If you do have snow, the possibilities grow and can obviously include sledding, snowman building and of course, snowball fights!
- If it’s too cold to go outside and play, stay bundled up indoors with a movie marathon! This can be done at home very easily- pick a theme, makes some snacks and stay in your pajamas for a cozy day of fun. If you are feeling adventurous, check out what’s playing at the local theatre and see if there are any good 2-for-1 deals! Don’t forget the popcorn!
- Organizing a play date with friends is always a good way to have some fun. This time of year is especially easy because there are so many new toys and games to play with and show off. Even better- trade off with a friend so you can both have a little time to yourself while the kids are playing at each other’s houses.
- Winter crafting themes are always a big hit in my house! My kids like to decorate pinecones, make their own snow and cut out fun snowflake shapes! The possibilities are infinite, especially when you have websites like Pinterest to be your guide. And if you aren’t feeling creative, a quick trip to your local craft store will most likely have a plethora of easy craft ideas to bring home! Puzzles and science experiments are also great family activities!
- Now is a great time to check out any indoor local attractions that you don’t want to spend time at when the weather outdoors is nice. The list is endless- museums, winter festivals, libraries, sporting events, indoor play places, bowling and indoor water parks are just a few of the places you can check out over break and can include the entire family.
What does your family like to do to keep busy over winter break? Let us know in the comments below!