As we celebrate Women’s History Month, today we would like to acknowledge 5 women who made history!
- Madam C.J. Walker aka Sarah Breedlove: Madam Walker was an African-American entrepreneur and made history as the 1st American woman to become a self-made millionaire. She died in 1919 but paved the way for many other women to follow.
- Oprah Winfrey: Many of you have probably never heard of her (a little sarcasm is good sometimes), Oprah Winfrey is an American businesswoman, actress, producer, philanthropist, media proprietor and the list goes on. Ms. Winfrey made history as the first African-American woman billionaire and continues to inspire others through her works and service.
- Lucille Ball: Lucille Ball is most widely known for staring in one of the most iconic American sitcoms, I Love Lucy in the 50’s. Lucille Ball also made history as the first American woman to run a major television production studio, Desilu Productions. She died in 1989 but her legacy continues to inspire.
- Ursula Burns: Mrs. Burns was the CEO of Xerox for almost a decade and made history as the first African-American woman to head a fortune 500 company. Mrs. Burns now serves as a Chairman of Xerox and continues to motivate other business women through her service and examples.
- Dr. Mary McLeod Bethune: Dr. Bethune was an American educator, philanthropist and humanitarian. Dr. Bethune made history by establishing a private school for African-American children, which would later become a University known today as Bethune-Cookman University. In 1973, Dr. Bethune was inducted into the National Women’s Hall of Fame. Her legacy continues to inspire and her vision for students to “Enter to Learn. Depart to Serve.” continues to be implemented at the great, Bethune-Cookman University today.
The Stork Bag was founded in 2014 by Ericka Perry, a wife and mother of 3 who has a deep passion for women and mothers. Each time you shop with us, you are contributing to a dream and a long-standing history of woman entrepreneurship. Thank you for supporting a woman-owned/woman-ran business!
Happy Women’s History Month 2017!